Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Design a Videogame to save the world

edited March 2006 in Art/Culture
...the highlight of the annual Game Developers Conference is an epic battle known as the Game Design Challenge.

The challenge is the brainchild of Eric Zimmerman, the CEO of gameLab and the author of several scholarly books on video games. Each year, Zimmerman asks three pre-eminent designers to build a game around some ridiculously ambitious theme. This year, he tasked them with dreaming up something that could win the Nobel Peace Prize....

- link to full article here
Superb concept...
What game would you make?

Comments

• I should mention Fallout

I don't know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Einstein.
  • edited September 2006
    Since the new Playstation is going to be a weapon, as usual, it would have to be on a different format.

The ultimate videogame-shaped solution to all the world's problems would have to, I think, take a brutally revisionist slant on things. We can't save this world with a game, but we could start a new one.

I imagine an online multiplayer game, which is based around short, action-packed rounds or sessions - like Halo 2, for instance. When a player has entered into a large enough number of successive games, he or she is deemed by the game to be in a "one-more-go" state. This state, familiar to so many of us, can not be broken by willpower alone, but only with the aid of an actual out-of-game interuption (e.g. doorbell, hunger, etc.) at the gamer's weakest moment - between rounds.

At this point our world-saving game would strike by entering the player into an endless round. With no convenient opportunity to stop playing, the gamer would basically be trapped in the game's world. More and more players could then be added to the same session until there were enough to begin a new civilisation. The makers of the game could then shake things up appropriately. If it were Halo 2 that the New-Earthlings were playing, the first step would be to change the nature of the players' interaction with the world. Guns would gradually stop working, and players would find themselves instinctively moving towards newly potent activities such as building or agricultural management.

Small, cute creatures could be created alongside a stroking function - this would obviously be superb on the Wii - and eventually ugly creatures would be slipped in until even they got stroked and petted. This all-round, indiscriminate stroking and loving and so on would be the basis of a perfect existence where players are incapable, due to the limitations of the game's controls, of any non-peaceful actions.
  • In fourty years I think a huge percent of the world's population will be submerged in a massively-multiplayer online virtual world... and it's unlikely that most of them will have any desire to leave it.

Including me, aged sixty!
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_for_tat
    In a way, this has been done. I spent a day trying to remember before I gave up and tried google. This is because I'm an egregious bastard. This instant access to information disturbs me deeply. I saw some research recently that showed we're happiest with a maximum of six or eight choices, the number of units we can hold in short term memory. Give us too many choices and we panic and become indecisive.
    Which ties in with the infinity stuff, to be offered more information than I could ever absorb, might as well be infinite.
    Another snippet from RAWilson, he called us, Homo Ludens, man the game player. When we go to the stars and the virtual multiverse we will bring our baggage with us.
    No peace.
    And why is there an exclamation mark after sixty? Youth is wasted on the young.
  • edited October 2006
    The Future of Gaming?
    Is this the way we will all be 'enjoying' our television programmes and computer games in the future?

In this astonishing photo, a model is wearing a new gadget, from electronics manufacturer Toshiba, that enables the wearer to experience a full 360-degree view on a 40 centimetre dome-shaped screen. - link
    (Via Joystiq)